Robert Spencer of Cople
Robert Spencer, Esq (~1533 - 1620) of Cople, Bedfordshire
Copyright 2007, Will Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org, Professional Genealogist, All Rights Reserved. This page is locked, if you'd like to add or correct anything, please email me.
Robert was born about 1533, being "about age 87" at his death in 1620.
He was the son of Thomas Spencer of Cople and his wife Anne Bulkeley, daughter of Robert Bulkeley of Burgate, Southampton.
Robert married Rose Cokayne of Cokayne Hatley about 1567.
Robert's children's baptisms, all at Cople, Bedfordshire:
- Jane Spencer 25 Mar 1572
- Nicholas Spencer 28 Mar 1573
- John Spencer 24 Jun 1574
- William Spencer 3 Sep 1576, claimed immigrant to Virginia. If true, then he died in Surry, Virginia abt 1652.
- George Spencer 15 Mar 1579
- Margaret Spencer 4 Aug 1579
- Robert Spencer 20 Dec 1580
- Oliver Spencer 2 May 1581
- Ann Spencer 2 May 1585
- Elizabeth Spencer 2 May 1585
- Arnold Spencer 6 Nov 1587
- Edward Spencer 6 Jul 1590
Robert died on Dec 4, 1620 and was buried the next day at Cople. His widow Rose was buried at Cople on 1 June 1629 as "Mrs Rose Spencer, widow".
- For baptisms see: http://www.familysearch.org - IGI - British Isles - Batch P003511
- Visitations of Bedfordshire, made in 1566, 1582 and 1634..., edited by Frederic Augustus Blaydes. London (1884). Page 141, "Spencer of Cople"
- "The first mention of it [Rowlands] as a manor is found in 1531, when John Spencer made a settlement of it. His father Robert's name occurs a few years earlier as holding land in Cople. Thomas son of John Spencer died seised in 1547. He was succeeded by his son Robert, who was followed by his son Nicholas, who died about 1625. His son, another Nicholas, married Mary daughter of Sir Edward Gostwick of Willington, and died in 1643. William Spencer, son and heir of Nicholas, was living and in possession of Rowlands in 1691. From: 'Parishes: Cople', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 3 (1912), pp. 238-42. URL. Date accessed: 24 February 2007."
- Posting by David Cooper on Gen-Med Feb 24, 2007 "Re: More Fairclough of Goldington" citing Vis. Bed. 1566 and 1634 "...which show Robert, unmarried in 1566, to be the son of Thomas Spencer of Cople and his wife Ann dau of Robert Bowlkeley of Burgate in com. South ar., with siblings William, second son, Elizabeth married to Robert Parrys of Kychen in com. Cantabrige gen., and Anne unmarried in 1566. In 1634 Robert's wife is shown as Rhose, dau of ....Cokain of Cokain Hatley, Beds, and that of Thomas as Anne dau of Robert Bulkley of Burgate in com Southampton."
- Posting by David Cooper on Gen-Med Feb 24, 2007 "Re: More Fairclough of Goldington" citing Robert Spencer's burial entry in Cople parish register in the year 1620: "Mr Robert Spencer Esquire a gentleman of an ancient house, of a sober and religious conversation, friendly unto all, liberal in housekeeping, and bountiful to the poor, departed this life the 4th December and was buried the day following, having lived 53 years in marriage estate, being about the age of 87 years". Mrs Rose Spencer, widow, was buried at Cople on 1 June 1629.