This Knol is part of my series "Celebrity Family Trees"
This Knol is under construction.
This list of the U.S. Presidents is taken from my page "Presidents of the United States" at http://www.countyhistorian.com
- George Washington, U.S. President 1789-1797. He was born 1731/2 at Pope's Creek, Westmoreland County, Virginia, the son of Augustine Washington and his wife Mary Ball. George's father died in 1743. George married the widow Mrs Martha (Dandridge) Custis in 1759. Martha had first married Daniel Parke Custis and by that union had a small son John Parke Custis who had been born in 1754. George Washington served as President from 1789 to 1797. George Washington is a descendant of Edward I, King of England (see his royal descent here).
- John Adams, U.S. President 1797-1801. He was born 30 Oct 1735 at Braintree (Quincy), Massachusetts, the son of John Adams of that place and his wife Susanna Boylston. In 1764 he married Abigail Smith, native of Weymouth, Massachusetts where she had been born 1744. They would be married until her death 54 years later. John Adams served as President from 1797 to 1801. He has no known royal descent, although he is a cousin of Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales, by their shared descent from William Cogswell (1619-1700) and his wife Susanna Hawkes.
- Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President 1801-1809. He was born 13 Apr 1743 at Shadwell, Virginia, the son of Peter Jefferson and his wife Jane Randolph. Thomas married Martha Wayles Skelton, and they had several children, one of which Martha, married Thomas Mann Randolph, Governor of Virginia. Thomas Jefferson has a royal descent through Christopher Branch (b. 1602), but he has a shorter royal descent through Dorothy Lane, wife of William Randolph of Little Houghton, Northampton. Through this connection, Thomas is also a cousin to Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York through their mutual descent from Richard Cave (d. 1538) of Stanford. Thomas Jefferson is a descendant of Edward III, King of England (see his royal descent here).
- James Madison, U.S. President 1809-1817. He was born 5 Mar 1751 at Port Conway, Virginia, the son of James Madison, Sr by his wife Eleanor Rose "Nelly" Conway, both natives of that state. On 15 Sep 1794, James Madison (Jr) married Dolly Payne who would later achieve fame as "Dolly Madison", Washington, DC hostess. James Madison died 28 Jun 1836 at Montpelier, Virginia. James has a royal descent through Martha (Eltonhead) Conway in 16 steps to Edward I, King of England *provided* that the Gerard-Bolde-Savage gateway can be properly documented. Barring that, he still has a royal ascent to Scotland, through the Eltonhead-Harrington gateway.
- James Monroe, U.S. President 1817-1825. He was born 28 Apr 1758 in Westmoreland County, Virginia, the son of Spence Monroe (1727-1774) by his wife Elizabeth Jones (1730-1774), who had married in 1752. On 16 Feb 1786 in Trinity Church in New York City, James Monroe married Elizabeth Kortright (1768-1830). Elizabeth died 23 Sep 1830 at her home "Oak Hill". She was buried at Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Virginia. He only lived a few months more, dying on 4 Jul 1831. He has no known royal ancestry. His wife is cousin of U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt through their mutual descent from the Aspinwall family of New York City.
- John Quincy Adams, U.S. President 1825-1829. He was born 11 Jul 1767 in Quincy, Massachusetts, the son of John Adams (later to become U.S. President) by his wife Abigail Smith (1744-1818). He descends from royalty through his mother, Abigail Smith being a descendant of Elizabeth (Coytemore) Tyng who was a tenth-generation descendant of Edward III, King of England. He shares this Coytemore connection with another president, Franklin Roosevelt.
- Andrew Jackson, U.S. President 1829-37. He was a posthumous child (born after his father had died). He was born 15 Mar 1767 in the Waxhaws area of South Carolina, the son of Andrew Jackson, Sr an Irish immigrant, by his wife Elizabeth Hutchinson. Andrew's father had died in Feb 1767 "injured while lifting a log". Andrew's mother Elizabeth would die from cholera in 1781. His Wikipedia entry, claims both his parents had immigrated from Ireland. Jackson, since his parents had died, was apparently apprenticed to a saddle-maker. Apprenticeship was a typical way to handle orphans in those days. He later became a lawyer. He married Rachel Donelson who died in 1828, he never remarried. He had no children of his own, but adopted some. Regardless of utter silliness all over the internet, his ancestry is not known beyond this, so any attempt to claim all the presidents are related stops right here.
Wjhonson's Knols - Total Pageviews - Independent Counter